So You Want to Cut Your Wig Into a New Style
The seasons are about to change, and this is the time many people try a new hairstyle. Just because you wear wigs and hairpieces, it doesn’t mean you can’t indulge in a new style as well. You can buy a new wig altogether or maybe even take one of your current wigs and have it cut into the latest trend. But, if you are doing the latter, there are some things that you need to take into consideration beforehand.
- Take the initial wig style into account. Take a good look at the wig and think about if the style you want will work. For example, if your wig is long now it might not work for a pixie cut because cutting the hair will reveal the wig base. Make sure you think the style through and are ready to discuss it thoroughly.
- You shouldn’t dye synthetic hair. Technically you can dye synthetic hair, but it is not an easy thing to do and does not always work out well. We don’t recommend putting in the effort unless you find someone who specializes in this.
- Unless you are a hairstylist, don’t cut the wig yourself. Don’t. Do it. It might be tempting to try to create some feathered bangs yourself, but it is not worth it if you don’t have experience with it. Ruining a perfectly good wig is very upsetting.
- Take the wig to a wig maker or a hairstylist with experience cutting the wig. If you need to find someone to cut your wig, call around, and the first question you should ask is if they have particular experience cutting wigs into styles. If they don’t, move on to someone who does.
- Get a consultation. Treat this like any other first-time hair appointment. Bring the wig in and speak with the hairstylist regarding what you are looking to accomplish. Bring pictures to better convey your ideas, and together discuss what your options are.
Do you have a wig restyling experience to share with us? Let us know in the comments below!